We're a family-owned restaurant offering delicious meals and great memories in what once was the Train Station Restaurant.
The Train Station Restaurant
March 27, 1901, Pittsburgh Chronicle-Telegraph: / in an era of coal purchasing and the promised development of new coal fields has given rise to the necessity for a new railroad in one of the counties of PA which so far has been backward in its development on act mint of the lack of railroad facilities. During the last IS months enormous purchases of coal have been made in Indiana County, the investment running up into millions of dollars. Much of this capital has been furnished by the R & P C & I Co. which is estimated to control between 15,000 and 20,000 acres of virgin coal land in the county.
Thus the Indiana B R&P station was built at its 1125 Philadelphia Street location which was then known as West Indiana. The Indiana Station was a special type amongst other Brand P stations. This was noted by the diamond mullions transoms over each window and door grouping, other stations were square paned. Another unusual characteristic was the curved interior walls which separated the baggage area from the waiting rooms. The Indiana B R&P station was one third larger than the Jacksonville station and twice as large as the Shelocta station. Its interior was entirely paneled in yellow pine tongue and groove single beaded boards. A chair rail echoes the exterior ribbon course trim. The northern one-third of the building was reserved for baggage while the remainder housed a small ticket office had segregated men and women’s waiting rooms. The floor is hardwood, tongued and grooved, over one inch in thickness. The station is framed in full dimension 2 x6’s covered with weatherboard siding. The hipped roof with flared eaves is shingled. The station is a story and a half in height, featuring a generous overhang on every side, supported by simple knee brackets ornamented with an ogee curve at the foot of each. The exterior is organized into compound fenestration, grouping one-over-one windows with diamond-paned transoms in threes; alternately a door takes the place of the center window.
The station was a hub of the surrounding commercial district principally to the east and north and also across Philadelphia Street, the Borough’s main thoroughfare, to the south. The neighboring buildings, included two creameries, a lumberyard, a woolen mill, numerous small factories and warehouses, and various commercial establishments. Across the railroad graff tracks to the west, the site is bounded by a residential neighborhood
The station was a hub of the surrounding commercial district principally to the east and north and also across Philadelphia Street, the Borough’s main thoroughfare, to the south. The neighboring buildings, included two creameries, a lumberyard, a woolen mill, numerous small factories and warehouses, and various commercial establishments. Across the railroad graff tracks to the west, the site is bounded by a residential neighborhood.
The Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh passenger station remained as one of three surveying stations until the inauguration of passenger service on May 4, 1904, an attorney for BRScP was quite capable of 1 accommodating frequent and reliable service to | Punxsutawney to the north and later to points beyond, such as, Chautauqua and Niagara Falls, New York